Friday, March 19, 2010

Friends

I admit it.  I. am. weird.  I don't like doing things just because everyone else is doing it.  If my best friend jumped off a cliff, I probably would not.  Since none of my friends have jumped off a cliff, it is on my to-do list.  I don't understand the need that so many people have to "fit in."  Of course I like having friends, but I would rather have one friend that truly "gets" me, than have a ton of friends that I have to work so hard to impress.  I think a friend is someone who you aren't afraid to be yourself around.  Someone who you can call at 3am to sit with your kids while you go to the hospital, and when you get home, you find that she's folded all of your laundry.  A friend is someone who doesn't see the dust on your mantle, or the crumbs on the floor.   She doesn't care if you show up to her house without make-up, or in your sweat pants.  A friend is someone who will stand by you through all of your ups and downs.  She knows you're not perfect, and loves you more for it.  A friend is real.  Authentic.  She won't ever stop being your friend just because you don't agree on religion, politics, or who should win American Idol.  A friend is someone who you can go months without talking to, and still know that you are friends.  There's no drama, no strategic planning involved.  A friend is someone who inspires you to be your best.  She doesn't try to knock you down so she'll feel better.  There is no room for jealousy in friendship.

I have been really blessed in my life to have friends.  Because you are my friends, you know who you are.  Thank you for making me a better person, and loving me when I wasn't a very good person.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I LOVE this post! I feel the same way.

Jodi Gallagher said...

Great post Amy!

Jeannie Barclay said...

I agree! I love what you said. That is all I want for everyone especially my kids. It's hard to come across a kindred spirit sometimes.

I have ants in my pants and would welcome a move. Please keep me posted.

I love your earlier post. I am the same way usually still in my pj's all day. WE NEED TO GET OUT! Sicily goes to afternoon kindergarten so I think in the afternoon we should go for a walk along the river trail. What do you think?

M said...

I have a friend who came over to my house in the middle of the night while I went to the emergency room and when Mike and I finally got home (hours and hours later), I found that she had folded my laundry...

Did I tell this story over biscuits? I must have. There is no way you could have been this specific otherwise :)

Amy said...

Melissa - that's so funny! It actually happened to me. I started to hemmorhage after having Lily and had to go to the ER at like 1am and called Tracee. When I got home she had folded my laundry.

M said...

Jeannie came over the night I sliced up my foot! We love Tracee and Jeannie. :)