Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Monterey

I was just starting to type up the San Francisco part of our trip, when I realized that I had forgotten that we made a two day stop in Monterey!  Anyway, so Gary had found us this great little camp ground with a heated swimming pool to stay at while in Monterey.  By the time we got there, it was getting late.  We drove down to the area where the main office was.  Let me tell you, I was a little nervous.  The place looked like a trailer park version of Reno.  Complete with plastic lawn ornaments and Christmas lights.  We didn't find our name on the reservations.  So, we thought maybe we weren't in the right place.  So we kept driving up and up until we came to another main office.  This one was a much nicer place and our names were on the reservation sign, right next to a sign that said "Do not feed the mountain lions."  Wait...what?  Mountain lions?  So...we drove up and up some more until we found our camping site.  Unfortunately, there was already a car parked in our spot.  So...we drove up and up some more until we found a vacant spot.  By this time it was dark.  Gary and Garrett set up the tent while I sat locked in the car with the three sleeping girls.  There was no way I was going to sleep in a tent with mountain lions wandering about.  So I slept in the car.

The next day, the kids and Gary decided to go swimming in the heated pool.  It was 57 degrees outside and very misty.  They are crazy.  We just relaxed and drove around Monterey.  That night, after seeing that Gary and Garrett had made it through the night without being eaten by a mountain lion, I decided that the girls and I would join them in the tent.  Major mistake.  The camp above us was partying until really late and it sounded like they were shooting each other.  Finally, they quieted down.  A while later I heard a strange growling sound coming from outside my tent.  My heart began to race.  I laid there and listened and then jumped up, moved the air mattress away from the side of the tent, smacked Gary on the head to wake him up and told him about the growling.  He listened for a while and then said, in a not so happy voice,"Amy, it's the old man next to us snoring. Don't wake me up again unless you are missing a limb."  And then he rolled over and went back to sleep.  Did I mention how much I enjoy sleeping in tents?

The next day we went to the aquarium in Monterey.  It was still 57 degrees outside, and windy.  The kids had a really good time.  There was a mirror maze up the street that they (and Gary) loved.  Monterey is really beautiful, but not very warm.

Next stop...for sure this time...SAN FRANCISCO!

1 comment:

Jodi Gallagher said...

That is so funny! I'm glad you guys didn't get eaten!

Btw~this is so funny my word verification is coogr....lol!