Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Gifts of Healing and Miracles

I went to church on Sunday.  I had to get out of the house, or I would go CRAZY!  The RS lesson was about gifts of the spirit.  A few of us were given papers to read outlining the different gifts.  When I finally looked down and read mine, I almost started laughing, and crying at the same time.  My paper said,"#7:  The Gift of Healing" and further down the page "The Gift of Miracles."  Yeah, I don't know anything about that, right?  I decided that it had been rigged.  But...Miracles are a gift, and they are very much alive in this world today.  I know this first hand.

I had my staples taken out yesterday.  My incision looks really gross.  I also received my diagnosis.  The tumor in my kidney was a whopping 7.8 cm in size.  It was stage 2 renal cell carcinoma (aka kidney cancer).  It had grown outside of the kidney, but had stopped in the fatty lining around the kidney.  It has not spread to the rest of my body.  The cancer is very slow growing, but Gary read on the internet that once it gets bigger than 7cm, it usually breaks out of the kidney and enters the rest of the body.  I, seriously, dodged a bullet.  There is a 15% chance that I will have renal cell carcinoma again in my life, but that is in God's hands.  I'm not going to worry about that.

I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  I am thankful to be alive.   I am thankful for family, friends and neighbors who have been praying for me.  I'm thankful for my mom who has been here for me, and even stayed up all night in the hospital with me walking and scratching my legs and watching cheesy Lifetime movies with me.  I'm thankful for doctors who knew what they were doing.  I'm thankful for Gary for keeping me positive and making me laugh, even when it hurt to laugh, and for putting up with me when I was on morphine and scaring away missionaries and nurses.  He is definitely the source of my strength and I am so so so grateful for him.  I'm thankful for my kids, all five of them.

And I'm thankful for the gifts of miracles and healing.

10 comments:

michelle keisel said...

I am so happy to hear that it hasn't spread! It is amazing how the Lord works in helping us find these things in time. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Melissa O said...

Amy this story just made me a little teary eyed. You are such an amazing person. You inspire me. Thank you for sharing your story.

Lyndsie said...

Wow Amy that is great. So glad that things are looking good for you!!! Thanks for sharing that. :)

Anonymous said...

Just so you know I am a little teary eyed here at work! You are one amazing woman. I am so happy to hear that it has not spread :) Have a really wonderful Thanksgiving!!!


PS I am bringing you dinner tonight, I will call you and make arrangments for time.

Unknown said...

WoW, That is good news. I love you and hope your feeling better. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. Hug the kids for me!
Love,
Uncle Steve

Rachelle said...

Amy! This is nuts! Talk about catching it just in time! I'm so grateful that it was found before it got worse. You are amazing. You are in my prayers!

Jodi Gallagher said...

Amy I am so glad you are doing well and they caught it when they did! I love your postive attitude. Prayers can be so powerful! I miss you!

Alyce Armstrong said...

Your positive attitude and faith are an inspiration to me.
Thanks for your example!
Amazing.

Springer and/or Tyson (probably Springer) said...

Wow, Amy. I am so happy for your miraculous health! I am so grateful you're a part of my life! <3

Jeannie Barclay said...

Yea!!! I am so excited you are okay! What a blessing. I am thankful for miracles and the power of prayer!