Friday, November 19, 2010

My Journey into single Kidney-hood...Part 1

Well, I am happy to report that I am alive and well, and so is the baby.  And I feel amazing...and overwhelmed.  I am overwhelmed by the amount of prayers that have been said on my behalf.  Gary told me that there was even an entire Jewish school praying for me.  Friends, family, people I've never even met have mentioned me in their prayers.  And that is overwhelming.  In a good way.  I know that not everyone will read this, but I am so grateful for the prayers and thoughts and good karma that have been sent my way.  I know that they were heard and answered.

My journey started on November 9th when I had to go to the hospital to have a filter placed in the major vein that runs up my body to prevent any blood clots that may form from reaching my lungs...again.  I was pretty nervous at the thought of having this done, especially because I had to be awake for the procedure.  But...it turned out to not be so bad, even though it did hurt and it was pretty freaky having a wire placed down my jugular vein, and being awake to realize this was happening.  By the way, the filter looks like a mechanical squid. And it is still lodged in my body as I type this.

On the 10th I went to ladies' night at The Melting Pot with my sister-in-law.  Pure heaven...

On the 11th, I did some errands and stopped eating solid food.  My mom took the kids that night because Gary and I had to report at the hospital bright and early the next morning at 5:30.  We watched Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.  I fell asleep part way through Private Practice.  Gary said they were the two dumbest shows he's ever seen.

Early on November 12th, we made our way to the hospital.  We checked in, got blood work, and they got me all prepped for my surgery.  On a side note, the tech who wheeled me into the surgery holding room had trained with me when I worked at Sundance.  Small world.  In the holding room, it was just me and five very old people.  I guess only very old people are crazy enough to be awake and having surgery at 5:30 in the morning.  To keep myself busy, I rummaged through my medical charts, that seem to becoming longer and longer all the time.  Listed as one of my symptoms was...Overweight.  Oi!  Nothing like a medical chart to make the truth so vivid.  I suppose I'll have to find a way to cure that one.  Maybe the Dr. could do a fat-ectomy on me?

At 6:30am they wheeled me into the OR.  It made me think of the doctors on Grey's Anatomy telling the interns to "prep an OR."  I looked for McDreamy, but I guess he doesn't do nephrectomies (which is a fancy word for removing an entire kidney).  And then I was asleep.

To be continued...

No comments: