Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Gary!


Yesterday was Gary's 31st birthday! We went out to lunch with his parents. While we were there Cheryl asked me if I remembered the first time I noticed Gary. Of course! We were in band together but I didn't get my notoriously infamous crush on him until the summer before my sophomore year. We were in a summer jazz band clinic together. We both played the sax, he played alto, I played tenor. I was sitting there and looked over and there he was with his shiny new saxophone, his tan skin, gorgeous eyes. Maybe it was really the shiny new sax that I fell in love with...just kidding. It's really strange to think back because although I was EXTREMELY boy crazy, he wasn't really the type that I usually fell for. He was quiet and I liked them loud. And we were complete opposites. And he couldn't stand me (couldn't blame him really, I was very obnoxious). In spite of all of that, something inside of me just knew that I would marry him some day. And 9 1/2 years later, through the good and the bad, I am so glad that I did!

He's the one who keeps me grounded. He makes me laugh almost daily. He's a wonderful father. He works so hard to provide for his family. He's so stinkin' smart it scares me! He's always reminding me of what is really important in life. He inspires me. And he's so proud of me when I accomplish my goals. I love him soooo much!

When he got home from work we all went for a walk around the spanish fork reservoir, let the kids play in the sand, and just sat. That night after the kids went to bed, he had to finish up some work so I stayed up (with help from the 4 Dr. Peppers I had at lunch) and sewed while he typed. At about midnight we went out and looked for the meteor shower that was supposed to be going on and only saw a few. But I couldn't help thinking the whole time how nice it is to just be able to sit and not say anything and be perfectly content.

3 comments:

Ginna said...

well I'll tell you what, that all just makes me smile! It's so funny to think about us in band back in the day. And we were boy crazy, and he wasn't your type. And you LOVED him. And I didn't think he was so shabby myself. So funny.
Crazy how things work out. It's so great!
Tell him happy birthday from me!

Amy said...

Hey! Remember for my birthday when you gathered a bunch of pics of him and made me a collage! That was AWESOME! I think I still have it somewhere. I'll have to check my stuff from high school. And, by the way, I just barely got rid of my red christmas sweater because it finally started falling apart. I was very sad.

Channa said...

Happy Birthday, Gary!