Sunday, August 31, 2008
Life in Perspective
The last two weeks we went without groceries because I didn't budget very well and had some unseen things come up. So we've had to live off of our food storage for a few days. I even broke out the 72 hour kits to discover that everything in them had gone bad (apparently you are supposed to rotate what you put in them and they don't just last forever. who knew?). It was so hard for me to listen to my kids cry about how hungry they were. Now granted we have plenty of food storage (not a year's worth, but definitely enough for two weeks). But of course, my children aren't used to eating oatmeal or beans and rice and complained bitterly. Which made me really reevaluate my food storage. It would break my heart to see my children so miserable without the knowledge that I will have the money to go grocery shopping tomorrow. It also gave me a very small taste of what some people go through every month. And it made me think. What can I do to prepare my family for the worst that will eventually come? I keep thinking back to the scripture that says if you are prepared you will have no fear (sorry, I'm not that great at remembering scriptures). So then I thought about all of the other things that we have to worry about besides filling our tummies. Like the spiritual things. What have I done to prepare my children for the things that they will have to deal with. Garrett will be turning 8 years old in November. Have I taught him enough? I've always had a testimony of prayer. In fact prayer was the only thing that got me through some really tough times growing up. But my children never see me pray. How will they know unless I teach them. I love the scriptures, but do my children ever see me read them? Have I ever told them how greatful I am for the gospel? Nope. I guess I have a lot to work on. But is it too late? Gosh, I hope not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey, it is your neighbor Amie Cook. I just found your blog and enjoyed reading about your family. I heard the Wii session at Lyndsies was a blast.If you want to read our blog just email me at momcook8@msn.com and I will send you an invite.
Isn't it a crazy feeling to realize you're responsible for other people like this? I've just started realizing that because Max is getting old enough that he really needs to be taught stuff, and we've started doing it. But I had some time there when I was scared, like how do I do it? How do I know what's important and what he needs to know?
Anyway, important interesting stuff. And boy, I wouldn't want to have to live off our food storage. I need work on getting some more edible stuff in there! :)
Amy, you are a true pioneer. If I tried to feed my kids our food storage I think they would go into shock. Good time to evaluate what you want to eat. I love it that you want to prepare them spiritually. You are fabulous.
This is melissa oldham from River Cove. I saw your blog and checked it out.
For future reference, I have a great book, "Food storage for Dummies" (nothing personal, sis) that might be helpful in your quest to stockpile food your family would actually eat. I've been making a concerted effort to increase our food storage the last few months, since the world is getting scarier every day.
I know what you're saying, though. I often wonder if I'm doing everything I can to prepare my family in all aspects. BTW, I admire your efforts to stick to a budget. I would've grabbed the credit card as soon as the Ramen noodles ran out.
Post a Comment