Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Rant on Black Friday

Okay, so this was the first in about 6 years that I haven't gone shopping the day after Thanksgiving. To me, it was kind of like the beginning of the Christmas season. I enjoyed the crowds, the waiting in line, the finding of the perfect present with the perfect price. But this year Gary had to work, so I stayed home and set up the Christmas tree with the kids, hung the lights in the trees and went to the annual Spanish Fork Christmas light parade with many of my Abbott cousins. And cleaned my house. I thought that I would miss "Black Friday" shopping, but I didn't.

Then...I began hearing the news of the Wal-Mart employee that was literally trampled to death by a mob trying to save a few bucks on a TV. Hello? Are you kidding me? Since when did saving a few dollars and buying a bunch of junk that nobody even needs become more valuable than a human life? What has happened to Christmas? When did it become such a consumer driven holiday? I've been wanting to get back to the true meaning of Christmas for a long time. Every year I think "do we really need so much stuff?" (especially when I'm cleaning the basement and see all of the toys).

Of course, I am a mom and moms typically want to give their children everything that their little hearts desire. But what am I doing to them in the process? Am I creating the next generation of soul-less Wal-Mart tramplers? Okay, I know that's a little extreme. But...I think that as parents we owe it to our kids to back off a little. Do our children really need all the stuff that we buy for them? Do they even really WANT most of it? Or does it just end up broken and forgotten and moved over for next years' loot. I think most of the time kids would rather have us spend time with them. That is what I think is lacking in a child's life. Not stuff. Our children have plenty of stuff. What they really need is our time. And that, my friends, is the end of my rant.

4 comments:

Jodi Gallagher said...

How sad about the employee! I went with my sister in law and everyone was really nice and there wasn't pushing or anything! I only went for 2 things but it was fun. I agree that kids don't need lots of things. We are doing 3 gifts each. Payson Walmart must be nicer than the rest :)

Ginna said...

It's so crazy about that Walmart thing. And so sad. I'm with you on your rant. I think we have to be really careful with our kids. Quality over quantity in toys, that's for sure, and quantity time from us!!

Sarah said...

The Wal mart thing made me so mad!! Did you hear that a lot of people wouldn't even leave when they were trying to close the store? They didn't care someone had died, they still wanted their stuff. So sad.
I agree that kids need more time not stuff!!

Candice said...

I'm so glad you did that comment. I felt/feel the same way. When I heard of all the crazieness going on that day I wanted to post, but my own crazy life has kept me from my computer for two weeks. Anyway, loved the post and I too would like a more peaceful, spend time with the kids holiday!