Today I am sitting here typing after a sleepless night. Even now the tears are blurring my screen. Yesterday Gary's mom called and told me, between sobs, that her dear husband had passed away. He had been very sick for a while, and had recently been given three years to live, but it was a shock all the same. We thought that we would have three years, not three weeks. I know that he was in a lot of pain, even more than he ever let on. I am still in shock. I can't even think of the right words say right now. I will give a more appropriate memorial to him when I can think straight. But I can say right now how greatful I am for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so greatful that he and his wife were sealed to each other for time and eternity. I am so greatful to know that we will see him again and that he is now embraced in the arms of his parents and all those that went before him. I am so greatful that he has no more pain and that he can walk, no he can RUN! He can do the things that he wanted to do that his health kept him from doing. There are so many things that I will miss about him, like his famous mashed potatoes and drink that he would make for Thanksgiving. I will miss his sense of humor. I will miss listening to him and Gary talk about work. I will miss how he would take Garrett out and show him the stars through his massive telescope. Garrett is so much like him and I think he may have been the only person who really understood him. I know that Gary will miss going to the Priesthood session with him. It was a tradition for them.
At times like these I feel so blessed to know that life does continue on. That there is a heaven. That things happen for a reason. That the gospel is true and all the things that I have been taught since before I can remember are true.
That families are forever.
3 comments:
Oh Amy, I'm so sorry. That's very sad and so sudden! It's so hard not to have time to prepare.
Kris's younger brother passed away a few years ago and it was a really tough time, but like you're saying it made all the difference that our family had the gospel. That we know everything's going to be ok. We were really able to feel comfort and love from the lord. I think it makes all the difference.
I just can't imagine saying goodbye to someone I love without knowing I would be able to see them again!
What a great gift we have, right?
Sending you our love, let me know if I can do anything--although I know I'm kind of useless all the way out here!
I am so sorry Amy. Losing loved ones is so hard. Tell Gary we're thinking of him and hope you and your family are all right. My parents have been gone for 3 years now and it's still hard for me! Call me if you need to talk or cry!
So sorry! Death is no fun even when it is for the best to end pain and suffering. I can't imagine losing parents right now. I am so thankful for what we believe in especially when we go through hard times.
Let me know if I can help in any way.
Post a Comment